Karma motion blur in viewport, but not rendered frames [[SOLVED]]

982   7   2
62 posts
Gang:

Anyone ever run into this? I’ve got a Solaris scene with velocity blur that appears correctly in the viewport, but is completely missing in rendered files. I’m using a USD Render ROP to generate the images, and the “Instantaneous Shutter” parameter is off. Any strategies for how to troubleshoot this would be welcome.

Cheers,
Tim
Edited by tshead - 2024年2月6日 13:32:19
9 posts
Yes same issue here! Mb visible in viewport cpu and xpu but not in the final render or Mplay. Any solutions please? Thx
622 posts
Have you added motion blur lop before USD Render ROP?
Edited by jerry7 - 2024年2月3日 19:31:57
30 posts
Since posting this, I’ve discovered that - at least in my case - the viewport seems to render at 24fps when using Solaris, no matter what frame rate you have chosen in Global Animation Options. The attached file demonstrates this - it contains a box that’s moving at 10m/s, with the frame rate set to 1fps and the shutter open for the entire frame. If you render to disk, the box correctly produces a streak that’s 10m long. In the viewport, the box appears to move roughly 0.4m. That’s consistent with a frame rate of 24fps (10m/s / 24fps = 0.416m). Tested with 20.0.590.

I’ve filed this as a bug with SideFX, but I always encourage others to file bugs too.

Cheers,
TIm
30 posts
Sample file.

Attachments:
solaris-motion-blur.hiplc (778.8 KB)

62 posts
Just to finish the thought - the reason this led to the original post was that I was working with higher-than-usual frame rates and hadn't calculated how far my objects were supposed to move in one frame, so when I adjusted my shutter duration to display pleasing motion blur in the viewport at the (incorrect) low frame rate, it was too subtle to see in rendered output with the (correct) high frame rate.

My current workaround is to set the desired shutter duration for rendering on my camera(s), then add a branch at the end of my network with an Edit Camera LOP that calculates an adjusted duration for 24 FPS. Then, I have to remember to select that branch to visualize the correct results in the viewport.

Cheers,
Tim
622 posts
I have submitted a bug report.
62 posts
Happily, SideFX reached out to me yesterday, and this is fixed in 20.0.609.
  • Quick Links