How to make PolyBevel's tension of the roundness higher?

465   4   2
3 posts
I have a square grid and I want to round its corners to make a 3D mobile app icon.

It is very important not just to bevel it, but also to increase the tension of the rounding a bit. (This is usually done by graphic designers, for a smoother rounding.) There is such a parameter in Cinema 4D and in Blender. But in Houdini, the closest in meaning is the Convexity parameter. But it does not allow you to set a value higher than 1. And no Convexity for Points mode.

Could you please tell me if it is possible to make such smoothing in Houdini for the Bevel node?
Thank you!
Edited by lee2key - 2024年2月26日 15:25:51

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-02-26 170110.png (1000.6 KB)
Screenshot 2024-02-26 165533.png (217.5 KB)
Screenshot 2024-02-26 165137.png (130.8 KB)

477 posts
You can use a second input of the bevel with a profile curve generating a superellipse by a parametric formula. It seems to give quite acceptable result, if you set convexity to zero and scale factor to 2.
Here is an example file

Attachments:
bevel_shape_curve_input.hipnc (112.9 KB)

3 posts
Aizatulin
You can use a second input of the bevel with a profile curve generating a superellipse by a parametric formula. It seems to give quite acceptable result, if you set convexity to zero and scale factor to 2.
Here is an example file
Thank you for your help. But still I cannot apply it on flat grid. If I set Group Type parameter to "Guess from Group", it doesn't work with point selection. But if I set Group Type to "Points", there is no "Profile" parameter to set Curve there.

You solve my problem for 80% and thank you, but I will be happy if someone can show me the perfect solution for Grid object. This is really sad, that Houdini has no similar slider like other programs in Bevel node
Maybe I can send idea to the devs somewhere?
3 posts
Also I find that it works only for rectangular shapes. If there are not 90 degrees it goes wrong.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-02-27 000138.png (1.6 MB)
Screenshot 2024-02-27 000028.png (413.7 KB)

477 posts
You can workaround the flat grid problem by extruding it (it is not nice but is working). Regarding to the angle problem, I have no other idea at the moment than to map every angle onto a different scale factor (using a ramp or a there is probably a function). But I don't know how to apply different scale factors in one bevel node. Using a feedbackloop, where you set for each iteration a group for each single edge.
Here is another file

@edit: it seems that tangent (x -> tan(x)) is doing the job (check the other file)
Edited by Aizatulin - 2024年2月27日 01:21:45

Attachments:
bevel_shape_curve_inputA.hipnc (250.9 KB)
bevel_shape_curve_inputB.hipnc (253.4 KB)

• Quick Links