MTLX - Autobump workflow?

579   5   0
31 posts
Not sure if there is a better technical term, but redshift calls it autobump. (https://help.maxon.net/r3d/cinema/en-us/Content/html/Tessellation+And+Displacement.html#TessellationAndDisplacement-EnableAutoBumpMapping)

What is the proper/efficient way to do this in MTLX ?
7803 posts
MR SMITH
Not sure if there is a better technical term, but redshift calls it autobump. (https://help.maxon.net/r3d/cinema/en-us/Content/html/Tessellation+And+Displacement.html#TessellationAndDisplacement-EnableAutoBumpMapping)

What is the proper/efficient way to do this in MTLX ?

This is a renderer feature and wouldn't be something Mtlx has to outright support. Mantra has 'Add bump to ray-traced displacements', I'm not sure if karma does yet though. I imagine other renderers that support mtlx that support this feature will still support it even when using mtlx shaders.
31 posts
Thanks for replying jsmack!

Not sure why it needs to be a render feature though.
Always thought it was just the normals that arent being calculated properly?

Atleast this how i use it now:

Displacement only:

Displacement plus bump, same map same height. Not correct, doubling up the normals.

Displacement plus bump, but using the restnormals (normals before the displacement / dicing):

Basically want to have the bottom result, without the need of an extra primvar if that make sense.
Edited by MR SMITH - 2024年3月12日 13:12:34

Attachments:
displacement.png (4.1 MB)
displacement_bump.png (4.1 MB)
displacement_bump_og_normals.png (4.1 MB)
rnml.png (7.6 MB)

7803 posts
It's a render feature because you shouldn't have to do anything for the first one to look like the last one if the renderer had the feature. Even without that feature, I'm not sure why the displacement only one looks so flat for you. karma should at least be dicing it to the pixel level by default. It's not as sharp as computing normals per sample, but should be much sharper than what you show.
31 posts
Ah gotcha!
Yeah if it should work as the bottom one without needing an extra normal / bump map input that would be great!

I've turned the dicing way lower on this one than the default, just ballparked it how I would be able to use it in prod.
7803 posts
MR SMITH
I've turned the dicing way lower on this one than the default, just ballparked it how I would be able to use it in prod.

Yes, without ray traced normals, lower dicing will lead to that result. I don't think karma supports it automatically yet. Using a primvar to store the OG normals and using a bump/nml map as you've done should work though.
  • Quick Links