Houdini Ocean Procedural in Karma

499   5   1
8 posts
Hello. I'm trying to render an ocean in Karma using the houdini Ocean procedural and I seem to run into an issue at every turn. At first it was throwing the "no dicing camera error", but I fixed that by adding the camera into the render settings under dicing. However if I use the render camera as a dicing camera, I seem to get a seg fault every time. I brought in the render camera again, but renamed it and tried using it as a dicing camera, but now when I render to MPlay it hangs on "running preframe procedurals script". So I must be doing something wrong somewhere. Whats the proper workflow to get 1:1 look from an ocean spectrum export into karma?

Cheers!
8 posts
I knew this would happen, as soon as I posted I'd figure it out.

It appears with dicing quality set to 1 on the spectrum I was given, it was dicing it WAY more than it needed to be. Dicing set to .2 was more than enough. Not sure how or why that happened, but changing that seems to have made everything a bit more stable.
130 posts
We have been using the ocean procedural for allmost 200 shots on a project. When only displacing a grid we could have it low. But when using it to displace a flip sim we needed to have dicing close to 1, or we would see the seam on many shots between sim geo and the extrudet geo.

It used allot of ram, but made it so much easier to render ocean in Redshift.
35 posts
Can you share a node tree on how you plugged into a 3rd party hydra delegate? I have the ocean shader working with Renderman, but it is a little dicey <---no pun intended :-) It is very janky. I have to have 2 rendersettings nodes in order for it to work. I got some help from Pixar on this.. but even they said it was a little janky to get working. Are we missing the correct workflow for 3rd party delegates and the ocean procedural tools?

BTW, if I don't included the karma render settings node, I get the following error:
Warning: Ocean Procedural could not dice geometry due to missing Camera primitve. Please ensure a RenderSettings with Camera has been defined.

Thanks for any help with this,

Todd Manus
Edited by TheNotepadShow - 2024年4月26日 12:18:00

Attachments:
ocean_screenshot.png (3.9 MB)

Thanks,
Todd Manus
www.artstation.com/thenotepadshow
www.itodd.net
130 posts
Yes, I encountered that problem to.

If I remember correctly you need to create a Configure Layer node, and set the correct path to your Renderman RenderSettings into the Render Settings field. Configure Layer node needs to be above the Ocean Procedural node.

Hope it helps.
Edited by Heileif - 2024年4月26日 14:13:43
35 posts
Thank you so much... it works like a charm...

Best Regards,

Todd
Thanks,
Todd Manus
www.artstation.com/thenotepadshow
www.itodd.net
  • Quick Links