Trace node producing jagged edges and weird normals

382   3   2
11 posts
Hi!I'm having some issues with polyextruding a trace node:

Problem #1

I have a 2D logo where I used a trace node and then polyextruded the letters to create a logo intro. I noticed the trace node created quite a lot of points, so I used the resample in the trace node to lower the points and smooth out the curves, but the edges are still jagged. Is there a way to have smooth curves so the letters look like they do in the logo?

Problem #2

The front of the polyextrude looks really weird. It looks like brushed metal in some places and isn't smooth. I tried a normal node and played around with a low cusp value (around 10) and it seems to fix it on the faces, but also kinda looks too angular and makes the light hit it differently, so I'm wondering if there is a better way to do all of this to get rid of the weird artifacts on the faces of the polyextrude?

Hipnc file attached, as well as screenshots of the issue, and also the logo png files to load into the trace node if needed.

thanks!

Attachments:
Jagged Edges and weird faces.png (4.2 MB)
Brushed metal vibes.png (2.8 MB)
CG logo.hipnc (875.6 KB)
Green C -CG logo for Houdini _DAN.png (27.8 KB)
full g.png (31.5 KB)
the rest no g.png (79.0 KB)

11 posts
Sorry, I forgot to include the .hipnc file. Here it is.

Attachments:
CG logo.hipnc (875.6 KB)

2041 posts
For your 'problem #1" the 'issue' is that you are using a png so it is a 'raster' image with anti-alising of the pixels to give the appearance of a smooth edge.(There's no parametric information defining the shape. The appearance of the 'edge' is created by 'dimming' pixels from view, for a 'blurring' effect, but the pixels themselves still form a step-wise/jagged pattern).

So there is no actual 'smooth edge'(parametric) to trace/duplicate - It's being done algorithmically by the trace node to get as close as possible; To what an actual smooth edge might be.

If your imput geometry was vector based - like an *.igs file format, then you could have a better source to work from.

However, if you adjust the trace nodes step parameter and follow the trace node after with a smooth node and set that node parameter 'Constrained Boundary' to none, the method parameter to 'Curvature Dominant' and then adjust the Strength and Filter parameters, you should be able to get a better working result.
Edited by BabaJ - 2024年4月15日 13:03:37
6 posts
Hi friend, i think i found some solutions to your problems. I just had a play around with the C.

Try Labs, remove inline points, after the trace (it's just a Facet sop, really, so you don't have to have labs, but get it anyway!!!). that is good for getting the distribution of a curve nice and even, but also low-poly (sometimes its much easier to work lowpoly, and then add back detail

then i used convert to poly and then Fuse

then i tried subdivide (with opensubdiv loop), that gave a nice smooth look, but it lost some detail of the hard edge of the C. it's different, but you might like it. (i left it bypassed, because it changes the style of your logo)

Finally, i used the quadremesh node. that will give you nice topology and get rid of your weird lighting issues from having n-gons in your geometry!

I hope that helps you get the rest of your logo looking how you want it!

~Maitland

PS (to the mod: this isn't really my first post i am also twelveplusplus/danger kitty, maybe merge, if you want/can? ty)

Attachments:
untitled25.png (290.9 KB)
smooth_C1.png (241.8 KB)
CG_logo--smoother--v002.hipnc (883.3 KB)

• Quick Links