scale bias for specific voronoi fracture cell points

291   3   1
37 posts
Ello, I was wondering, is it possible to bias the distance ratio uniquely per point in a voronoi fracture?
398 posts
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but I did something related in the past by creating a rest position, then distorting my geometry by bringing some of the points closer and some further to/from your voronoi points depending on their scale. Then perform the fracture and restore the rest position. This requires sufficient subdivision before your fracture, however.
37 posts
Tanto
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but I did something related in the past by creating a rest position, then distorting my geometry by bringing some of the points closer and some further to/from your voronoi points depending on their scale. Then perform the fracture and restore the rest position. This requires sufficient subdivision before your fracture, however.

Thanks for the tip, I had a simillar suggestion on a simillar voronoi question I posted before, its an awesome trick.
When I have one specific cell I want to bias, then yeah I can scale all the other points relative to that position, I guess in theory it could be done with other points too, like you said with rest saving and manipulating the space between them. I should take more time to investigate an elegant solution.
478 posts
I think it is quite hard here to get good results. I've done experiments by setting weights on each point, which is used as weight to influence the voronoi pattern. So the default weight should be 1 for every point, which should give you the standard voronoi pattern.
My first idea was to influence the distance by the weight. Just calculate the distance between every point and each target point and divide it by the weight. If every weight is 1 the result is equal, but if you set even one to something different, you will lose the convexity and the new pattern will look very different.
The same for the second idea, which is more a faked voronoi using booleans. For each cell and for each point pair you can apply a boolean by intersecting a half-space (giat cube), where one side is inside and the other is not. The plane psoition can be inluenced by the weight ratio for each point pair. The problem here is similar to the first idea, because you will lose the convexity and the pattern looks broken.
The third idea is influence each point based on the weight of the neighbours, where the neighbour can be defined, but I would take the adjacent cell for the original vornoi. This will give a voronoi pattern, but the neighbour cells are also inlfuenced. And it is hard to avoid this becauce the neighbour relation can change during the process.

I'm pretty sure there are many more approaches, but you can look into file if you want

Attachments:
voronoi_weighting_experiments.hipnc (202.0 KB)

• Quick Links