pattern matching within group sop

4025   4   2
225 posts
Ok so I have a geometry sequence that I'm reading in with inconsistently ( although similarly) named primitive groups, eg (foo, Foo_, foo01, etc.) but they all represent a group I want to isolate. Is there a simple way I can change that group to say FOO without renaming each instance individually?

Thanks in advance

Lyn
321 posts
tallkien
Ok so I have a geometry sequence that I'm reading in with inconsistently ( although similarly) named primitive groups, eg (foo, Foo_, foo01, etc.) but they all represent a group I want to isolate. Is there a simple way I can change that group to say FOO without renaming each instance individually?

Thanks in advance

Lyn
Probably the best you'll get from this is matching *oo*, assuming you don't have any groups named ‘goobert’. I'm sure you've recognized by now the impact of not using consistent naming schemes. If *oo* doesn't grab all the group names, but you can make a Perl regular expression that does, you can rename the groups in the Unix SOP using ‘perl -pe s/old/new/’ syntax.
Antoine Durr
Floq FX
antoine@floqfx.com
My first guess was a sed script on the same lines but I thought something like this might just be right up houdnik's alley,
so how do I access group names within houdini for something like repalcing *oo*. The group sops edit tab doesn't seem to work with pattern matching symbols
スタッフ
3456 posts
you could try bringing in the file sequence then use a group_copy to transfer one of the group names to all of the files, then you'll be able to use a consistent name….

unless I'm not understanding you….

HTH
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
225 posts
I found a workaround with the delete sop. Delete *oo* worked for islolating the offending groups, i renamed the groups to something sensible and got it to work. I do get a warning if that group is not available on a certain frame but at least it cooks so I'll take it
  • Quick Links