Unable to set up wind force with fluid

8948   7   1
85 posts
Hi,

I am very new to Houdini and was doing a tutorial where a wind field is used with a fluid container.

I created a new scene, put a fluid container in and selected it. Then I clicked the wind force in the shelf, but all thet happened was an error message popping up “Attempt to access an object that no longer exists in Houdini”.
So I tried the procedure vice versa (first selecting the wind force, then the fluid container), but all I got was the same result. Looking it up in the help said that I did nothing wrong. So I created another scene, but again all I got was an error message, no wind field.

So, how do I correctly create a wind filed for a fluid container? What am I doing wrong?
349 posts
It works for me just fine.

Make sure you are using the wind force from the drive simulation shelf and not the drive particles shelf.

All I did was:

CTRL Click a fluid container
Click the wind force shelf tool from the drive simulation tab
Select the container
Hit enter
A wind force node is dropped in the autodop network.
85 posts
Thanks for your help, but it still doesn't work.

You gave me the proof of concept that this is a serius bug in my version of Houdini.
4140 posts
Houdini version? Platform?

Make sure you're running the latest release, there are releases usually daily. Well, I suppose the official stand is to run the ‘production build’, which is less likely to have troubles. At the time of writing that is 9.5.241.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
639 posts
It might not be a software bug per se. The shelf-tool and other defaults probably need to be updated. We noticed this issue when we were working on firesim. So you might need to apply a Gas External Force DOP to your fluid solver DOP to tell it to take into account of forces.
60 posts
i'm also trying to get the wind force to work with fluids. it works perfect with smoke. but i can't get it to work with fire.
do i need to use the Gas External Force DOP for this? if so, how do i connect it in to my auto dopnet?

thanks guys
696 posts
if worse comes to worse, you should also be able to manually type tab, and then place down a wind dop manually into your network
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
60 posts
Allegro
if worse comes to worse, you should also be able to manually type tab, and then place down a wind dop manually into your network

yea, i've tried that to, i put down a wind force just after the gravity node, but i didn't get any result. (on a fire simulation, works good for smoke)
  • Quick Links