Houdini On latest version of Ubuntu Linux

11531   14   2
26 posts
I am new to Linux system, I want some information related to which download I have to use for latest version of Ubuntu Linux
Hi there
It all depends which version of linux you are using.
I use Ubuntustudio x64 myself and have had no problems running Houdini. On the download page it gives you all the Linux platforms on which Houdini runs with the appropriate downloads
26 posts
I just install Ubuntu 8.04 & I am trying to install Houdini Apprentice (for Ubuntu Linux 7.04).
…. and now when ever I am trying to install it gives me error (unable to connect the server)…. I checked my net n it works properly….. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Hi

Did you manage to install houdini? and if so, do you get this message when you try to run houdini from the applications menu?
301 posts
conjuror
I just install Ubuntu 8.04 & I am trying to install Houdini Apprentice (for Ubuntu Linux 7.04).
…. and now when ever I am trying to install it gives me error (unable to connect the server)…. I checked my net n it works properly….. :cry: :cry: :cry:

If you are on 64bit Ubuntu 8.04, that probably means gcc-4.2 so I believe the correct version to install would be the “Lenny” build.

I have no experience with the 32bit version of Ubuntu 8.04

Regards
Nicholas Yue
26 posts
what to do ? :cry:

Attachments:
why.jpg (88.6 KB)

You're running as root when you install the key? Also, is that the name of your workstation? Seems a little odd to have the word ‘desktop’ in a system name…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
1145 posts
Namaste Suneel,

Where did you install Houdini? It should be in /opt.

Just to review the steps for Ubuntu.

Use the “sudo” command before most of your command line actions.

- sudo mv “houdini_version.tar.gz” /opt

- cd /opt

- sudo tar -zxvf “houdini_version.tar.gz”

- cd “expanded houdini install directory”

- sudo ./houdini_install

You want to install both the application and the license server.

Once done you cd into the installed directory, then

- source houdini_setup_bash

Ubuntu defaults to using the bash shell.
Then cd to your working directory in the same shell and run houdini.

So, are these the steps you took?
This is how I setup houdini, I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 on a 64bit machine, as you saw.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
26 posts
Thanks to my houdini Guru

But again small problem. Please see the attached file
(houdini is opening bot big black screen is appearing)

Attachments:
butthis.jpg (326.9 KB)

Turn off the fancy desktop windows decorations.
So, under Systems/Preferences/Appearance, go to the Visual Effects folder and change it to None.

I don't see your picture but I'm guessing that's the problem. Unfortunately Houdini doesn't like the glx effects.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
460 posts
For the icons you need to have access to the houdini9.5 folder in your home directory, launch terminal and type

sudo chmod -R 777 houdini9.5

the little lock icon in the folder should disappear, you still need to disable the windows effects

in older version of houdini, the houdini preferences folder did had this problem, maybe SESI should squash this tiny little bug. :wink:

good luck
varomix - Founder | Educator @ Mix Training
Technical Artist @ Meta Reality Labs
26 posts
Thanks to my Houdini Gure & varomix

i'll always remember your help in my houdini R&D

trust me I never receive such kid of help from professionals in my 6.5 yrs industry experience
I am really thankful to this community

I would consider this a bug with houdini. The program should never need write access to its installation directory. Runtime stuff like this should be stored in a subdirectory in the users home directory, a temporary directory, or be able to be configured with an environment variable. We work in a multi user environment and can not allow users to have write permissions to the vendor directories.
2 posts
rminsk
IRuntime stuff like this should be stored in a subdirectory in the users home directory, a temporary directory, or be able to be configured with an environment variable.
To answer my own question it seems houdini does have an environement variable for this HOUDINI_ICON_CACHE_DIR. Instead of making the directory world writable try setting HOUDINI_ICON_CACHE_DIR.
1390 posts
rminsk
I would consider this a bug with houdini. The program should never need write access to its installation directory. Runtime stuff like this should be stored in a subdirectory in the users home directory, a temporary directory, or be able to be configured with an environment variable. We work in a multi user environment and can not allow users to have write permissions to the vendor directories.

as varomix already said this is a problem with Houdini installation script, which appear from time to time as to my experience. It looks like it changes write access to its own $HOME/houdini9.5. It has nothing to do with $HFS (Houdini installation path). It happened to me a few times with different builds and changing write permission in $HOME was always the answers.
  • Quick Links