Group Create/Number - Transfer Selection to Pattern

7027   6   2
15 posts
The ‘Transfer Selection to Pattern’ button in Group surface node doesn't seem to be described in the help file, it seems self explanatory enough but it doesn't seem to work like I thought.

I assumed that the it transfers your selected points/primitives to the ‘Pattern’ area below it. When I select some points/prims and click the button it just selects all the points or primitives in the object and puts the result in the ‘Pattern’ area.

Any help is appreciated.
121 posts
Hey Nic,
A workaround to this is to make your selection, stay with your cursor in the Scene, press Tab and select the group sop.
This will then create the group sop with the selected pattern.

Cheers,
c.
Available for new projects
15 posts
hi claudio,

How do you go about adding or removing points/prims from an existing group without creating a new group or typing the pattern numbers manually.

I cant figure it out, I must be missing something simple ….

Thanks, Nic.
121 posts
Hey Nic,
If the ‘Transfer Selection to Pattern’ option doesn't work you will have no other option then doing it manually or by a script like explained in the following post:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=13827&highlight=transfer+selection+pattern+python [sidefx.com]

I don't know which version of Houdini your using but the post also states that the ‘Transfer Selection to Pattern’ option was broken until version 9.5 and should be fixed now.

cheers,
c.
1631 posts
Hi Nic,
niczoomniczoom
How do you go about adding or removing points/prims from an existing group without creating a new group or typing the pattern numbers manually.
To modify an existing group, put the display flag on the Group SOP, hit Enter in the Viewport, type the backtick ( ` ) key beside the 1 key or right click on the Cursor Icon on the left of the Viewport and select Reselect for Current Tool so you can modify your selection.

I highly recommend going through the GUI tutorial videos on this website and 3D Buzz to familiarize yourself with the workflow.

Hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
15 posts
Hi Steven,

Thank you for the reply, you have more than answered my problem, the ‘Reselect for current tool’ works well!. I have the 3D BUZZ videos you mentioned but I watched them a while ago and most likely forgot a few basic things… so much to remember, practice makes perfect..

Thanks again, Nic.
121 posts
In deed great tip. thx Steve! :wink:
  • Quick Links