Show Guide Geometry slows viewport on 7600gt

2897   4   1
15 posts
I have set up a simple ‘Particle from Fluid Object’ using a default sphere at radius of 1, once done the blue guide geometry spheres are shown in the viewport. Now, my viewport responds very slowly to any movement, also the selecting and display of node info is slowed a little as well. When the Visualization is changed to ‘Sprites’ the viewport speed is normal again.

Same happens when the (red) collision guide geometry is shown in RDB sims.

Anything to do with my nVidia 7600GT (ver169.25, Vista64) video card ?? Maybe time for an upgrade?

Thanks, Nic.
スタッフ
5158 posts
You might try disabling smooth lines in the viewport display options and see if that helps at all. The 7600 should be adequate, though not terribly quick, especially if the memory installed on it is 128MB.
スタッフ
5158 posts
Oh, and if Vista's Aero interface is on, try turning that off as well. It's a real resource hog for a card of that calibre.
15 posts
I turned off smooth lines and the aero interface but still no difference. I found the level of detail setting which made a marked difference when set at .001, still jerky in the viewport but usable.

Any suggestions on a new video card that would show a marked difference from my ‘7600GT 256MB’.

9800GTX, GTX260 or Quadro FX1700, these are in my price range (just for the quadro)…..

i am currently running a Q6600 OC'd @ 3600Mhz

Thanks, Nic.
1631 posts
Hey twod,

It's not due to Smooth Lines but Primitive colour. When the SDF is displayed on my work machine with a Quadro FX 1100, the display slows to a crawl. This applies to any geometry with a prim Cd attribute.

Is it possible to look into this? Also, I would like to RFE for the grid-based fluid display to have options to turn off colour because they get really slow when the resolution is high.

Thanks!

Cheers!
steven
  • Quick Links