Can I convert imported .obj to polygon mesh?

6868   4   2
120 posts
I have imported an .obj file as geometry and then I want to convert it to polygon mesh so I can do a UV pelt.. I can't seem to figure a way to do this.. when I just do it in its normal state after importing it doesn't seem to allow me to do a UV pelt. I am not sure of what to do, I guess the only other option is to use another 3rd software to convert the obj into an fbx which may make it able to be pelted.. any advice would be appreciated.
120 posts
just realized this may be an issue that I hadn't merged two objects into one.. but anyways I am kind of curious about this issue.. like is there any way to convert an imported file from one thing to another.. poly to mesh or even poly to nurbs?
696 posts
you can try the “convert” geometry node
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
1529 posts
In all likelyhood the convert sop will not give you the result that you are after – it IS able to convert polys to meshes (or nurbs for that matter) but only if the poly is constructed using quad patches throughout (having a fixed u and v edge count per patch). Failing that you will get a nurbs patch per face – which is rarely what you want.

That said, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to pelt a polygon object. That's what it was built for. (After all, both meshes, and nurbs patches have built-in textures coords that are accessible via s and t globals)

Select the edges that you wish to pelt along, and put down the pelt sop. Set your viewport to uv to see the result (alt+5), then tweak the parameters to your liking.

Best,

G
120 posts
The convert SOP actually works pretty well.. thanks for the advice.
  • Quick Links