Problem puzzled me for some days.

5278   6   1
160 posts
the second image below is reference photo,

I have been buzzled by this problem recent days.

this is my own one exercise,i model a pair of lemons ,and write and wire shaders.
then render them in mantra.
try and try .but the result is still not good .

i can't get the succulent feel and apperance. now i have no any ideas .

waiting for your help
thank u!
Edited by - 2009年8月31日 04:15:35

Attachments:
post.rar (646.5 KB)
nm3.jpg (103.5 KB)
NM5.jpg (28.8 KB)

160 posts
jelly appearance .

whatever changes. they don't look as lemons.

Attachments:
nm4.jpg (111.4 KB)

606 posts
Making an appealing image of food - be it photo or rendered - is inherently hard.

In fact, I think you already have much of the technical 3d stuff down, the geometry and displacement look good, and I guess the shader isn't that far off actually. What you need to focus on is lighting, environment to be reflected, background, camera/composition - and postprocessing. Do not expect straight renders to look perfect.

I took the liberty of doing a little basic postprocessing on your image in photoshop, mainly just curves/colorcorrect.

eetu.

Attachments:
lemon_psd.zip (1.0 MB)
lemon.jpg (74.2 KB)

862 posts
Hey I like your lemons. Nuts and melons are next, right?

You could add drops and play a bit with the composition. I think technically you've done well, the rest is design now.
--
Jobless
160 posts
thank you two.
120 posts
I took a look at the file.. well I think for one your light is way too bright so thats part of the problem.. if you did this in real life it would look kinda weird too (shone a really bright light on a lemon up close).. also try increasing your shader quality, maybe ray trace quality too… in the main object SOP area click on lemon object < render < dicing then you can do this as I think thats part of the problem too.

For this kind of thing you usually want to use a room around the object since the way it is know its basically like you have a bright light in a vacumm (like outer space) whereas within a room you can dim the light and move it further away… if you want to get a shot of the lemon with no background just leave one end of the room open and shoot it there against the nothingness

edit: the lights not necessarily too bright.. just too close to the lemon
2199 posts
Maybe try adding some depth of field blur too. And have you used any subsurface scattering in your shader?
Then maybe try comping your 2 shaders together the waxy one and the diffuse one, maybe a subtle mix of the 2 will hit the spot.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
  • Quick Links