Mutliple UV Textures Imported in OBJ Geomeotry Question

8510   4   1
82 posts
I am having trouble getting my UV maps from 3D Coat into Houdini specifically for Torque Game DTS export.

I saw a tutorial on 3D Coat and Houdini and they use a displacement map to bring in the textures from 3D Coat. The problem with that method is that the DTS export REQUIRES DTS Materials in order to export correctly.

If I have just a single UV map and texture in 3D Coat, save the Geo out as an OBJ from 3D Coat, import that into Houdini and then create a DTS material with the texture file and then drag that onto the model in Houdini, THAT works fine.

The problem is when I have more than one UV map and texture in 3D Coat.

My model is big enough that I would have to have a very large single texture in order to get the level of detail that I want in the final output. For this reason I have more than one UV map and texture set in 3D Coat.

I am checking the box in 3D Coat when I export to save the UV maps and even the vertex normals.

My question to you is how do I access the saved UV information that is inside of the OBJ file that I am importing as the geometry when I import into Houdini?

I know how to create a UV pelt and set it up. I just don't know how to create a node that will access the UV information that I got all perfect in 3D Coat and exported from it in the OBJ that I am importing.

Please help…

Tony
243 posts
Do you have an exported obj file? Could be interesting to have a look…
How many uv attributes do you have in your imported model?
JR Gauthier
Character Animation & Design
www.turboatomic.com
http://www.vimeo.com/user2847970 [vimeo.com]
82 posts
Where do I see the imported UV attributes? I should have 10 or so total.

I am also working with a SideFX support person and they just found that my UV maps are over lapping, which they should not. As I look at it I see that maybe there are some extra UV maps that cover the whole model.

I will check this out.
スタッフ
1182 posts
Can you post an example file to test? It would make it easier to check out what is happening in Houdini.

Robert
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
82 posts
Thank you for the offer. At this point I have changed the way I am going to do it. I am just going to use the built in texture support of 3D Coat with a single UV. 3D Coat is really good at packing the textures so I don't have to have a really big image after all.

Now the problem I am having is with my bones. Here is a link to my other thread dealing with that if you happen to be able to help with it:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=18707 [sidefx.com]
  • Quick Links