unpredictable wire behavior

3229   3   1
15 posts
Hello,

I'm trying to simulate fur with the wire solver and I'm seeing some very unexpected results. Specifically I ran a wedge where I only incremented density and left the other parameters alone. At a density of 10, the wires freak out, 20 they look good, at they 30 freak out, and at 40 they look good.

I would have expected that since the solver freaked out at a density of 10, that it would have gotten progressively worse as I incremented up to 40, but that's not what happened.

Does anybody have any ideas on why density values of 10 and 30 look terrible and values of 20 and 40 look good?

Thank You.
319 posts
I've had unexpected results with the wire solver many times. It seems quite sensitive. You might want to play about with the Linear spring constraint/klinear and Angular spring constraint/kangular settings on sims that freak out. These control the stretchyness and bendyness of the wire respectively. These paramteres also require some experimentation but I have found getting these settings correct usually calm down a wire sim nicely.
スタッフ
3456 posts
if you are doing fur forget about density…

hair has almost no mass….
depending on the scale of your wires try
turning off Compute mass
Set mass to : 1
Width : 0.001
Linear Spring Constraint : 10000
Linear Damping Constraint : 10
Angular Spring Constraint : 0.001
Angular Damping Constraint : 0.001

then play with the mass on a VERY SIMPLE SCENE - like a sphere about the size of your character etc…

there really should be a preset for fur - as opposed to wires

hope that helps
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
15 posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Setting the mass manually definitely got me to a point where I could predictably modify the other parameters. I'm still refining the settings, but I'm much closer now.

Thanks Again!
  • Quick Links