(Solved) How to surfsect odd geometry?

4125   5   1
13 posts
Hi there

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this: I need to surfsect this wobbly surface to create floors for towers, but I keep missing portions of floors.

Any ideas on how to get complete cross sections?

Thanks in advance!

Attached is the zip with the bgeo and the hip.
Edited by - 2011年3月23日 08:42:04

Attachments:
towers.zip (11.9 KB)

48 posts
Hi,
I've been doing something similar, and it's turned out to be more complicated than it should be. One thing to try:
Start by making sure the input is a closed, polygonal surface (Convert SOP).
Next, put down a Cookie SOP, with the geom wired into the 1st input, and a large grid into the 2nd input.
Switch the mode from Boolean to Crease, and you should end up with an intersecting surface.
48 posts
Here's an example file.

Attachments:
xsect.hipnc (64.2 KB)

13 posts
Hi Dinkleberry,

The file works perfectly, I had forgotten entirely about the much-maligned cookie node. Thanks so much for your help, it really solves many problems!

Cheers
P.
13 posts
Hi again Dinkleberry,

I just looked at the stunning amounts of manually added points in the group nodes… thank you for putting in so much effort! I have added several nodes with patterns in them, so as to prevent exhaustive listing and automatic update regardless the geometry, perhaps you could find it useful for your geometry in the future.

Attached is the updated file.

Cheers
P.

Attachments:
xsect_221[1].hipnc (76.7 KB)

48 posts
Hi, thanks. I think I'm going about this the opposite way to most people - learning Houdini before I learn to model, so I was curious about how you actually close geometry like that. I'm wondering if there's an easier way than just selecting the points, putting them into groups and adding extra polygons from them. Loft, stitch, patch, join, skin, cap, fuse… none of them seemed to help much.

Do you know of a way to renumber points?

For my work, it's best if I can get only one shape at a time, so the cookie isn't the best thing for me to use. Instead, I use a ray SOP to project radially from a point. I've attached another file.
This also has the advantages of a) working on most geom types, including metaballs, and b) you can just alter the number of divisions in the Circle SOP to reduce or increase the detail of your xsection.

Attachments:
raysect.hipnc (54.7 KB)

• Quick Links