Chain dynamics

2021   1   0
1 posts
Hi,
I'm trying to make a chain dynamics. The task is pretty simple- one chain link is a pin constraint, all the other ones are swinging in the air. The problem is that, sooner or later they start to fall apart.
I make the chain by using Copy node on a torus, then make it RBD Fractured Object. Also tried using wires instead and the example file-nothing works.
I think the problem might be- dynamics are based on the point collisions. I increased rows and columns of the torus and it worked for a while, but still falls apart.
Is there a way to make collisions based on the surface of each chain link? Or anything else you can suggest.
Thanks.
5 posts
By default houdini uses volumes (voxels) for collision, and not the poly shapes like some other systems such as havok, and physx. So increasing the poly count will have no effect. Instead you need to go to the collisions tab, under the geometry node in the DOP, and increase the divisions of the collision volume. You can see how this looks if you tick the ‘Show Collision Gemetry’ option
  • Quick Links