Is there a way to space out the fractal deformation?

2694   5   1
131 posts
Hi,

I am using the Fractal SOP to deform a Grid SOP. But I am not able to space out the bumps/deformations. The scale option in Max's noise modifier works in all dimensions but Houdini's fractal seem like it only does it for the Y axis.

Basically I am looking for a result like this where there is enough polygons but the bumps are not very close to each other, they are further apart:

Any ideas?
スタッフ
2540 posts
Use the Mountain SOP instead. If you want to increase the grid divisions, either increase the Grid SOP divisions or insert a Subdivide SOP between the two to get finer polys to distort.

Beyond that, you can craft your own deformer very easily with the VOP SOP, diving in and adding your own pattern generator.

See the attached file for a few noise patterns in their own VOP SOP. It's straightforward to build these deformers.

Attachments:
each_pattern_as_vop_sop.hip (161.8 KB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
131 posts
Thanks Jeff, I can't wait to try it out when I get home.

I thought the Fractal SOP was the equivalent of Noise Modifier in Max, now I understand.
7750 posts
Try using lower Frequency values.
131 posts
Thanks the Mountain SOP is exactly what I need. Not very discoverable names though
131 posts
Thanks again Jeff, just looking at your file, it looks very good. I don't know how to build vops though. Seems familiar though, I mean graph connections wise.

Also would you edit the mountain sop using the “edit vex expression” button and then going into the code tab and editing the code in there?

Is it also possible to identify which OPs have their code visible, which are vop, vex, or encrypted, etc? I guess it's not as important for most users to know this.
  • Quick Links