New to VFX, need a lot of advice

4086   5   2
3 posts
Before i choose FX, i was web designer. When i “entered” in 3D world, i wanted to be character and environment modeler, but it seems that modeling is not fun for me.
I've been always fascinated from special effects, especially those from Harry potter and other sci-fi movies. But, also i stylized effects like from the game like World of Warcraft.
So, i know this is really great challenge for me. I want to learn this by myself, from DVD's tutorials, because i can't effort to go to school because is a damn expensive.

I want to create only special effects, realistic or in-game. Like, dust,smoke, distractions and other things. What programs do i need to know for this? At the moment i have Maya, 3D Max, realFlow, and plug ins like, Krakatoa, FumeFx. Soon, i might buy Houdini, because i've heard that' it is monster for special effects.
Also i want to ask, witch program, should i use to make realistic special effects as much as possible.

I am really interest to create effects like, water, fire, dust, smkoe distractions, morphing, etc etc

As FX artist, do i need to know drawing and painting? Because i don't like draw, i've tried many years ago, but i don't enjoy, it is boring and frustrated.
Do i need to know Zbrush?

Because i will learn this alone, do you have any idea/advice, how to start?
168 posts
So you are saying that school is expensive but you managed to buy all of those programs + DVD tutorials, blindly (without any knowledge about 3d) ? ))

On every job posting there are requirements so you can check what you need to know in order to work in this profession.

It's all about producing images so good, artistic eye is crucial. And no matter what 3d app is it, they all operate on the same basis.
Main difference is in workflow.
Albert
3 posts
tmdag
So you are saying that school is expensive but you managed to buy all of those programs + DVD tutorials, blindly (without any knowledge about 3d) ? ))

On every job posting there are requirements so you can check what you need to know in order to work in this profession.

It's all about producing images so good, artistic eye is crucial. And no matter what 3d app is it, they all operate on the same basis.
Main difference is in workflow.

Yea, i know that taking all that software,was mistake. All that stuff was a gift from my friend.

I always reading at job posting what are the requirements.But i just want to know, is there something else that they don't post
696 posts
Recruiters don't make a habit of keeping secret what they want their employees to be capable of.

If you don't enjoy drawing, don't do it. Scripting/Programming will open doors, but is also not strictly necessary.

Start with some video tutorials, and assign yourself some sort of a project to do that uses the skills you've just learned in whatever tutorial you've watched. You'll need a demo reel to get a job, and people will want to see more than just tutorials on your reel, but when starting out they'll understand if it's mostly just tests. Just work on making those tests look as good as you can.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
1 posts
Hello! I am new to this community so any information is very important and useful to me! Thanks a lot for that!
PDF Converter http//openpdfconverter.com/
3 posts
Allegro
Recruiters don't make a habit of keeping secret what they want their employees to be capable of.

If you don't enjoy drawing, don't do it. Scripting/Programming will open doors, but is also not strictly necessary.

Start with some video tutorials, and assign yourself some sort of a project to do that uses the skills you've just learned in whatever tutorial you've watched. You'll need a demo reel to get a job, and people will want to see more than just tutorials on your reel, but when starting out they'll understand if it's mostly just tests. Just work on making those tests look as good as you can.

Thank you Allegro, i will do that, i am going to learn from the tutorials on this site, and i will try to make something, some test..

because i will learn this alone, how can i make demo reel, that some of the vfx houses show interest in me?
  • Quick Links