How to save presets for users?

6427   5   3
41 posts
Hi!
I'm designing a tool and I've faced a problem:
I have an ordered menu which is a list of preset trees. I want this list affect other parameters of the same tool. For instance the first selection changes all of the other parameters to certain custom values (not necessarily calculated) and so on. I also want the ability to user to be able to save the values and name them and then it appears in the same list.
Is there any possible way?
696 posts
There's already a “save preset” functionality in the gear menu.
If you want that to be an feature built into you own tool I can't imagine another way rather than writing a serious amount of python to store the parameter values as arrays in a text file within houdini's settings folder and refreshing the menu with the new options.

Quite doable though!
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
41 posts
That's a great answer
I would like to know where and how I can write such an array?
where could it be so that its easily readable and writable?
696 posts
You should find most of your answers here:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1810&Itemid=344 [sidefx.com]

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
1799 posts
A nice option that involves VERY little python is using Houdini galleries. you get a really nice asset management interface (with drag and drop functionality, icons, etc.)

We have implemented a few gallery digital assets at my work and they work fantastic you can even tie renderers for icon generation and cool stuff like that.

The galleries can be seen under window –> gallery manager. They are generally used for materials and fx, but you can right click on any node –> save to gallery t save its preset

For the python side of things (i.e. if you want to add a button to your digital asset to save to gallery), you should look at hou.gallery. Its a very simple module that allows for gallery management
-G
2624 posts
That is a very cool trick ! Sesi should make a tutorial on that

Rob
Gone fishing
  • Quick Links