very basic question

3876   3   2
1 posts
since i am a begginer using houdini i want ask what is the difference between VOPS and POPS nodes??
thanks in advanced
2624 posts
Hi,
Vops are VEX operators and Pops are particle operators. Many older users of Houdini refer to the old naming of things like Sops , Pops , Dops etc . Sops for instance is short for surface operators , the location of which is now called geometry in the Network view. VOP's are more recent but they refer to a network where you can basically build your own tools from scratch. ie you can have a VOPSOP , so a VOP network that works in the context of surface operators ( Sops), ie you could if you wished build your noise sop to apply to some points.

Hope this helps and I am sure other “ old timers ” will chip in with there take.

Rob
Gone fishing
26 posts
Ya, actually it took me some time to find out what all the different operator slang stood for and what they were about.

SOP - surface operator
POP - particle operator
DOP - dynamics operator
VOP - vex node operator
CHOP - channel operator
COP - compositing operator
ROP - rendering operator

haha, hopefully I got that right.
76 posts
dsierra
Ya, actually it took me some time to find out what all the different operator slang stood for and what they were about.

SOP - surface operator
POP - particle operator
DOP - dynamics operator
VOP - vex node operator
CHOP - channel operator
COP - compositing operator
ROP - rendering operator

haha, hopefully I got that right.

Yeah, that looks right. The docs provide more detail about why or when to use different networks: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.0/network/net_types [sidefx.com]
  • Quick Links