Very simple FLIP question.

11175   15   4
197 posts
How do I emit more particles? Where is the scale for this?
102 posts
Delight0092
How do I emit more particles? Where is the scale for this?
afaik FLIP solver is voxel based.
for increasing particles count you may have to increase resolution or increase amount of particlrs per voxel - in particle motion tab inside of solver.
it is 8 by default.
also if you continiously emitting particles in certain direction - you can increase initial velocity - the particle count per second will be increased.
55 posts
If this is in Houdini 12 using the toolbars/fluid source setup then there really isn't. The emitter is designed to put in enough fluid so it can emit a constant volume over your frames. You will technically emit more particles if you lower your particle separation in the FLIP Object node.

However, if you want to make your own emitter, you can control the amount of particles being emitted. Keep in mind, this has the ability to introduce volume gain/loss because you aren't emitting the “correct” amount of particles. If you have access to it look at how the toolbar setup emitters in pre-H12. All the nodes still exist within Houdini 12 to create older emitters.
197 posts
I just want my container to fill up quicker, how would this be achieved?
696 posts
You could make your emitter bigger/deeper. It seems to me that the stream of particles is directly proportional to the volume of the emitter, but I could be mistaken… :twisted:

cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
373 posts
If you want your container to fill up quicker you probably want to change the velocity of the source to emit more particles.
Ian Farnsworth
696 posts
Solitude
If you want your container to fill up quicker you probably want to change the velocity of the source to emit more particles.
and splash everywhere!!!
You could also start with the container half full…
Toronto - ON
373 posts
Splashing is the best part! I had to do a shot recently where after I started emitting I then added a second emitter from inside the existing fluid, so the object filled up faster as well… it was kinda hacky, but it worked.
Ian Farnsworth
197 posts
Forgive me but where do I do this (change velocity), asking's better than stumbling around.
696 posts
I'd say stumbling around is most valuable, specially when learning something new…
If you used the shelf tools, go to your source geo container and look for a node called create_surface_volume. I the velocity volumes tab you can increase the scale for the velocity volume or check the add velocity parameters bellow.
Alternatively, before the create_surface_volume, add a point SOP and in the particle tab add some velocity.

Cheers
Toronto - ON
197 posts
A bit of both, experimenting and following tutorials/asking questions.
22 posts
Hi,

I have a question myself regarding the H12 Flip Fluid set up. I have a simple emission and I would like to add some variance to the velocity field.

Just wondering how parameters have been rewritten compared to H11.

Cheers
696 posts
Enmi
Hi,

I have a question myself regarding the H12 Flip Fluid set up. I have a simple emission and I would like to add some variance to the velocity field.

Just wondering how parameters have been rewritten compared to H11.

Cheers

Do you mean variance in the sourcing of the particles? I can't remember how sourcing worked in H11, but it's much simpler in 12 anyway. you can either use the noise parameters in the create_surface_volume node in SOPs or just add your own VOP SOP before it and create your own network to modify the velocity attribute the way you like.
In DOPs you could create a force, bring in an array of points from SOPs (with a vector attribute of your own design) and feed into a field force (I think that's what it's called) DOP.
I can post an example later if you'd like.

Cheers
Toronto - ON
22 posts
Plenty of solutions thanks!

Previously in H11 when using Emit Particle Fluids from the shelf, the set up presented a Particle Fluid Emitter DOP very similar to the Source POP..

In H12 that node isn't used anymore and since the parameter control for the velocity is now at SOP level, I was wondering if variance is still there, somewhere, as well..

Cheers
217 posts
I've just increased the “Scale time” at the DOP Network to fill my container faster.
Detlef
197 posts
That's will make my Sim look completely unrealistic.
  • Quick Links