Vector parameter interfaces corrupting

3043   4   0
184 posts
Hi folks,

Has anyone had trouble with vector parm fields messing up?

I keep getting cases where I'm editing an expression in a field, i.e. Y, and when I click away or hit return, it doesn't restore the full list of XYZ fields, I just have one big numeric input field (as if it was a float).

Just now I've had a weirder one, where it's removed all the field inputs entirely, just leaving a Y field label, as attached (Center parm). I'm going to submit a bug report, but it would be handy if anyone knew a way to repeat it consistently, as it seems random here, and returns to normal when reloading the .hip.

This is 12.5.469, Win7

Attachments:
vector_parm_corruption.JPG (29.2 KB)

4516 posts
I have seen this behaviour long ago and submitted it (ID# 54435). I think this is related to another bug where when you type an expression into a numeric parameter, Houdini doesn't recognize it as an expression, just shows the text as is. To fix it I first create a keyframe and then toggle the expression mode, and then paste my expression again.

It's very frustrating when it happens. For those who don't know what I am talking about they can see the issue in this video at 25:52 (palindrome ):
https://vimeo.com/64912129 [vimeo.com]

As you can see, he struggles to find the problem naturally because he thinks he made a mistake somewhere, and after a minute, he realizes the value is not pasted correctly by Houdini. IMO this bug is very high impact, and should be high priority.

I added this info to the bug above.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
184 posts
Indeed. Pasting references (or dragging nodes) into Wrangler snippet boxes, then ctrl-z undo will sometimes clear the contents of your script - the menu Redo doesn't see the action, though Alt-R with your cursor active in the snippet box will *sometimes* restore the previous state. When it doesn't, well, I go outside and look at the sky for a few minutes

Re expressions not registering, I usually find simply ctrl-shift-LMB to delete the channel clears it up (though it can happen again of course!).
4516 posts
I never saw the Wrangle snippet bug you mentioned, as I never tried dragging nodes there. I do it for string parameters though. But you are right, sometimes I also use the Ctrl+Shift+LMB to delete the expression in an attempt to restore it

But your original problem, when that happens, I noticed it seems to be stuck for new nodes too. So if it happens in AttribCreate SOP, then any other AttribCreate will have the same parameter field extended like that.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
1 posts
AdamT
Indeed. Pasting references (or dragging nodes) into Wrangler snippet boxes, then ctrl-z undo will sometimes clear the contents of your script - the menu Redo doesn't see the action, though Alt-R with your cursor active in the snippet box will *sometimes* restore the previous state. When it doesn't, well, I go outside and look at the sky for a few minutes

Re expressions not registering, I usually find simply ctrl-shift-LMB to delete the channel clears it up (though it can happen again of course!).

I just wanted to say that I hit this and have been pulling my hair out for hours trying to figure out how to get the field back. Even creating the same node from scratch in my PointVOP did not fix it. All of them were coming in like this. The Alt+R did the trick.
  • Quick Links