velvet / cloth shader

8424   5   1
191 posts
I'm playing with the mantra surface shader to get the look of a piece of cloth. I'm trying to make a towel and played around with the fresnel and IOR.

In some other 3D applications there are specific shader models for velvet and cloth and I guess that this is not achievable with the default mantra surface shader.

So, is there a specific velvet shader around for Houdini?

Cheers Thies
250 posts
Hey,
Check this tutorial :
https://vimeo.com/73633268 [vimeo.com]
https://vimeo.com/obreadytom [vimeo.com]
191 posts
Not yet but I will look on it, thanks
191 posts
so, a least it wasn't very helpful because the Tutor uses edge fallof which can't reach the quality of a real velvet shader and I also think ist quitt hard with this technique in an brsd shading model. Second to implement that in the mantra surface is quitt hard for because I'm just an artist and my knowledge of shader programming are limited.

So, any more advises?
245 posts
You could also use the fresnel node and use some ramps to create some interesting effects.

The fresnel node also comes in with an IOR slider.

I've created one quickly, I'm not 100% sure what you are looking for, some more specific examples could get you better awnsers.

Attachments:
fresnel_vop.hipnc (208.9 KB)

191 posts
johnnycore you are right.

I have setuped a towel scene in Blender which was pretty forward. I have attached images from the towel without the fur and the plain velvet shader and the final node setup which is pretty easy to unterstand.

To create the velvet look just with the mantra surface material is not possible and I have no idea what I have to do in the complicated node setup in houdini.

I have also attached the fest_scene file of houdini.

Would be great if you have an idea

Attachments:
Test_Towel.zip (1.0 MB)
Bildschirmfoto 2014-05-11 um 08.47.24.png (564.1 KB)
blender_towel.png (659.0 KB)
blender_towel_plain_velvet_shader.png (437.9 KB)
blender_towel_base.png (425.7 KB)
Bildschirmfoto 2014-05-11 um 08.10.38.png (100.7 KB)

• Quick Links