After using copy, How do I select one of the copies

13431   17   2
25 posts
Hi
I need 20 copies.

But after having the copy I need to be able to move one copy individually.
Is it possible?

How?

Thanks
ungria
Edited by - 2005年2月4日 12:56:34
HB
7025 posts
Create Groups in the Copy SOP, then each copy will be its own group. Reference that in the Transform SOP and you're set!
25 posts
I have tried this but it seems that the transform affects the whole group> ah I see, now I realize I can select each group! :cry:
It is not working. How can create a group for each element copied? What is the exprexion I need to write for the copygroup?
In the way it is now I create a group with all the copies and the transform affects all of them, I cannot create a group for each of them.

Thanks

Ungria :cry:
HB
25 posts
How can I get one of copies from the template?

Ungria
HB
49 posts
ungria
How can create a group for each element copied?
It is a function of the Copy SOP. Turn on “Create Output Groups”, the default should be which will make a numbered group for each copy of the incoming geometry.
Jeff Willette
Freelance TD
49 posts
BTW: The Duplicate SOP should be used instead of the Copy SOP whenever possible. It is much faster, but lacks many of the powerful functions of the Copy SOP. Just remember that the “Number of Copies” is addative, so the actual number of objects is always 1 greater than the copy number.
Jeff Willette
Freelance TD
25 posts
Hi
I am using a template. If I amke the copies, the copy sop makes just one group not one group for each copy.
I cannot get the coy I need.

It is possible only if you use the copy sop without template.

Ungria
HB
412 posts
maybe i'm missing something but it seems that this should be a lot more simple than it's turned out to be.

you copied something over and over either by itself or through the use of a template and you simply want to move one of the objects that have been copied. so after the copy, throw down a transform sop or edit sop, select your object and move it. there shouldn't be anymore to it than that.

sure you could create groups for each copy, but you don't really need to unless the groups will be used for a specific application down the line. but if you're just wanting to move something, then just use a transform or edit, select it, and move it.
Dave Quirus
7025 posts
Ungria, that's because when you don't use a Template, the copies use $CY as the variable for the copy number. When you use the Template, replace $CY with $PT (point number) and that will do what you want!

Cheers,

Peter B
25 posts
If I use $CY the whole set of copies is selected, only one group.

If I use $PT, only one group is created, group0.

I think I am goign to try something else

Thanks
HB
49 posts
Yeah, I guess we assumed you weren't using a template. If you need groups for templated points you will have to use the stamping feature of the Copy SOP, and a param() function in a Group SOP before the Copy.

I don't have time to go into detail right now, but will later if needed.
Jeff Willette
Freelance TD
7025 posts
I just tried this

Grid SOP as the Template
Sphere SOP in the left input of the Copy SOP

Turn on Create Output Groups
For the group name, use copyGroup$PT

I get one unqiue group for each sphere, 100 groups using the default grid…

Cheers,

Peter B
412 posts
yea, $PT should work fine with templates…

but i still can't get past the purpose of doing this if he's just trying to move one of the copies individually.. i mean, if he needed the groups for a specific reason, then fine.. but i really think he's just simply trying to move one of them and nothing more. so why deal with x number of groups when he can just select what he wants to move and simply move it.
Dave Quirus
7025 posts
Creating the groups is more procedural, meaning more “correct” from a Houdini Perspective ) However, in practice either way would likely work. I too would probably use the $PT expression and create the groups, it's more flexible in the long run.

Cheers,

Peter B
412 posts
Yea, I definitely can see where you're coming from, and I too would employ the groups depending on the situation.. But I can't help feeling that while having the groups is a good thing (and more procedural as you've pointed out), it sometimes can hinder my workflow. If i'm already dealing with a somewhat extensive file and I've just thrown in another 100 groups to manage and remember, it's not really worth it when all I really needed out of the copy was the copy itself and nothing more. I sometimes find it better to keep things clean when they can be so you can leave room for the times things can't be so simple.

just my thoughts…
Dave Quirus
25 posts
Hi

Ungria is a female name!

Hi thanks for all your help. Actually I am not using the copy SOP because I realized was not suitable for what I needed to do.

I am working on Information Visualization and I needed to test some options, so it was a good exercise though.

The objects I am using need to follow a pattern for location, but in some cases the objects need to be transformed ( position, size, color,etc.
)
In this case it is better to not use the copy SOP because if then later you need to work on one ( or some) specific object, it gets harder to manipulate. I am talking about large set of objects and the need to select some of them later.
What I did, used the function point and then, selected the points of the grids do give the location reference for the objects. Teh objects in this way follow hte pattern, they are organized, I can move them as a group using the grid, but I also can manipulate them indepentenly.

It works fine.

Thanks for the interest and support!

Cheers
Ungria
HB
412 posts
Ungria is a female name!

oh no :shock:

i am so sorry about that Ungria.. man am i embarrassed about that one ops:

glad you were able to figure it out and get that working though.
Dave Quirus
25 posts
Hi
That is so funny!

Thanks for your help. I am very new working on this! An also my English is not very good yet!

Ungria
HB
  • Quick Links