Problem with nested asset

4327   3   2
3 posts
Hi all,

While trying to add Unity support, I have some problems with using mbPlumage inside Unity 5. The asset consists of 1 open asset that contains 2 closed assets. In Unity when I drag the main asset into the scene, the others only get added as dummies.

Also, all the object inputs are all greyed out and I don't know why.
402 posts
First off, the mbPlumage asset (I'm assuming you mean this: https://www.orbolt.com/asset/Haybyte::mb_plumage_system) [orbolt.com] is not officially supported in Unity so you're kinda at your own risk here.

Furthermore, this particular asset is a heavy simulation asset which doesn't translate very well to Unity as we don't support baking deformations in Unity. I'm curious what you're trying to do with this asset in Unity.

But I'll try to address your two main problems so far with the asset:

So, because the main asset depends on other assets, you need to create a folder inside your Unity project at this exact path: <Root Assets Folder>/OTLs/Scanned and place all the otls for this asset in there - then restart Unity. Everything in the Scanned folder is pre-loaded on startup which ensures all dependent assets are loaded.

The object inputs in the main parameters section are grayed out because they are either counted as asset geometry/transform inputs and promoted to the Inputs section above the parameters - or, they are not supported input types (operator node path parameters that are not filtered on SOP or OBJ type operators only).
1799 posts
Hi, sorry for reviving this old thread, but was wondering about this very question

Is it possible to setup the unity environment to look for assets in other locations? In the maya plug in, one can define this environment (similar to how it is done in Houdini) via the HAPI_OTL_PATH env variable. Is there an equivalent for unity?

thank you!
-G
453 posts
Also, wouldn't it make sense to change the system for Houdini Engine so that you can pack any otls (and other resources) into your HDA (attach it as an “Extra File”) and those resources would be used automatically?
Note I have not tried this, but this is how I would expect it to work. It would make delivering complex assets very simple and straight forward.
  • Quick Links