Windows 10

2842   4   2
156 posts
Hi!

I am switching my workstation from a Mac to a Windows Machine and was curious if Houdini & Windows 10 are stable enough and compatible enough to use in production.
I am currently on Windows 7 which is fine for the most part except it is missing a lot of really convenient stuff I was told Windows 10 has.

Any suggestions / experience / reviews?

thanks!
1755 posts
Windows 10 is a good OS overall. There are a few quirks that should be dealt with from the user part, via registry editor and/or the group policy editor.
The non-pro version doesn't have a gpedit.msc, but you can find it on the web and install it.
I personally see no reason to stay with 7, as 10 is faster offers better multi-display support and well, it's the present so to speak.
One important note: I don't have extensive experience with H and win 10, but other apps work very well.
648 posts
yep use win10.
I've used Houdini on various OS recently, was least stable on Linux, closely followed by win7, then 8.1. Very few problems in 10… unless doing copmositing or previz ofcourse (in which case you're doomed to cry like a Maya-user regardless of the OS).

Interestingly the order if instability corresponded exactly with how ‘managed’ the workstation was by other parties, so a clean self-managed Linux system might be as good as win10.
1743 posts
The only Windows-10-specific issue I've had with Houdini is that, as a lot of people have found with a lot of programs on Windows 10, the start menu sometimes decides to just not show some items, seemingly arbitrarily, so sometimes not all of the icons for Houdini are there, even though the corresponding shortcut files do exist. There are a lot of people online saying that they tried _____ and it worked for them after that, but for each of the many _____'s suggested, I've seen people saying that it still didn't work for them. It's a minor problem, but it can still be a nuissance sometimes.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
156 posts
Thanks for your replies!

I made the switch to 10 and had no issues so far.
At least not with Houdini.

The interface of some my other programs seems a bit muddy..
I have a Dell UltraSharp 25'' with 2560 x 1440.
Cinema 4D for example looks really bad.

Don't know if this is related to windows 10 but on 7 I did not notice it.

Attachments:
houdini resolution.JPG (31.5 KB)
cinema resolution.JPG (29.4 KB)

• Quick Links