Questions about Center, centroid, pivot and transforms

3179   1   2
375 posts
Hello all

So I'm still trying to understand Houdini. Except for the centroid, I didn't find good definitions in the docs, so here is what I've understood, tell me I got this right or wrong:

- The center is a point in space that defines the position of an object. Relatively to this point, the position of the object's points are defined.
- The pivot is for the user to transform the object. Its parent is the center. It can be offset from the center.
- The centroid is the center of the bounding box of the points.

So questions :
1) Are my definitions correct?
2) Is the pre transform used to alter the center's position , rotation and scale?
3) How can I visualize both the center and the pivot at the same time in the viewport ?

Thanks guys
Gz
Houdini gamboler
375 posts
Ok after a bit of research (also with the help of my Hou trainer ) I am able to answer some of my questions.

First find enclosed a pic I made in which I bring some conclusions + 1 question.

- “The center is a point in space that defines the position of an object”
The center is the centroid, aka the center of the bounding box of the points. What confused me is that the centroid is also called “center” in the GUI and the docs, so I thought the center was a “third entity” in addition to the centroid and the pivot.

- “The pivot is for the user to transform the object. Its parent is the center. It can be offset from the center.”
The pivot kind of contrains the centroid/center. The centroid can be offset from the pivot using a transform node in geo level.

- “Is the pre transform used to alter the center's position , rotation and scale?”
The pre-transform is like an invisible parent Null inside each object, it is independent from the centroid/center and does not affect the later.

- “How can I visualize both the center and the pivot at the same time in the viewport ?”
I guess there is no visual cue for the centroid/center but I still think it would be useful, especially when using the buttons “move center to pivot” and “move pivot to center”, of which I will talk again later.

Greetings
Gz

Attachments:
Pivot and Centre questions en.jpg (505.5 KB)

Houdini gamboler
  • Quick Links