Houdini remembers all my parameter values except Button Strip states? Help! (quick example attached) [SOLVED]

2122   2   1
146 posts
My HDAs refuse to remember the state of button strips between sessions. So I've made a minimal scene to test. What am I doing wrong? Any other type of parameter I create works properly, saving its state in the scene file, but button strips don't.

If you load the example file, you'll see a subnet with a little button strip on it:

Change the button strip selection to “sphere”, and maybe dial in a different “Some value” beneath.

Save the file and reload it straight away, and while the “Some value” parameter has been remembered, the button strip has reverted to “box” again.

This is costing me time and hair… any help gratefully received!
Edited by howiem - 2018年11月2日 08:03:14

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 11.19.30.png (11.2 KB)
btn_strip_test.hiplc (140.1 KB)

146 posts
OK: I've sussed it, but I'm leaving this here in case it helps anyone.

If you use a button strip to return a single (exclusive) integer value, the Token for each menu item is ignored: the parameter returns the index of the selected button.

But that doesn't mean you don't need to create a token for each item.

So creating a menu like this will work fine:

… any channel references to the button strip will correctly return the index of the selected item. HOWEVER, the state of the button strip will not be saved with the hip file.

You need to add tokens, though they can be anything. I've happened to put 0 and 1 in here, but any numbers will do - the channel returns the index of the menu item, not the token (unless you enable “Use Menu Item Token as Value” above).

So this is the fix:

Phew.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 11.32.33.png (20.6 KB)
Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 11.32.50.png (23.1 KB)

2042 posts
I know this is an old post.

But why would the OP imply that the token values assigned(if different than ‘listed’ order of the Labels) could be returned as such, when even in his image, the checkbox for “Use Menu Item Token as Value” is greyed out.

I've messed around with the button strip, and it seems to me “Use Menu Item Token as Value” is not possible.

I haven't been able to find a way to enable the option.

Must be a template U.I. option only available for another parameter type/s ?

Not that I need this option…was just looking at implementing something using the strip button and was curious about this aspect.

Anyone know more about this; Possible to enable “Use Menu Item Token as Value” ?
Edited by BabaJ - 2019年6月8日 14:59:44
  • Quick Links