Need some help to start rigging and animating in Houdini

1906   4   0
2 posts
Greetings, people
I'm getting into animation industry, and for what I've experienced and heard, Autodesk softwares just don't work. They are buggy, unnecessarily large sized, unoptimized and expensive. So I'd like to stick with Houdini, since I've tested the apprentice version and really really liked it. But here is the thing…
I know for a fact that Houdini is the king when it comes to VFX, and it's really useful for procedural modeling. But is it a viable option for rigging and animating as well? Like, I know people won't stop talking about how good Maya is for character animation. But for what I've seen in Houdini, it's more than capable to have really powerful animation tools with this kind of node system, and the way it generally handles stuff. So, is it worthy to stick with Houdini for animation?
P.S: I don't wanna use Blender. The users have been so annoying and obnoxious that I have lost all my enthusiasm for it.
833 posts
Start with the Learn/Tutorials sections on this web site…it's the best place you can possibly go to learn Houdini.

As a general comment, your decision not to consider using a very capable app just because you consider some of its users obnoxious seems like a weak justification not to use it. If your behavior is that easily affected by complete strangers, you're in for a rough ride in this industry!
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
340 posts
The sidefx rigging tutorials were very helpful to me, and you will understand rigging well.
2 posts
I guess I didn't deliver my question correctly. I'm aware that there are tutorials for rigging in Houdini. I just wanna know, is it worth the time? Or should I use Maya which everyone says is the beast of character animation ?
104 posts
OmidRG
I guess I didn't deliver my question correctly. I'm aware that there are tutorials for rigging in Houdini. I just wanna know, is it worth the time? Or should I use Maya which everyone says is the beast of character animation ?
it is worthy to learn rigging in Houdini because it will give you a solid foundation for understanding how H works. In the case you need to learn for the job, then I guess you have to find out what is the pipeline you are going into. But these days it become worthy to go for the Blender too.
  • Quick Links