Vellum weld Issue despite no points being welded.

2033   5   1
45 posts
Hello,
I am having an issue using weld constraint in Vellum.I have attached an hip file that illustrates my issue : Welding points change completely the simulation despite the fact that there are no points to weld.The issue is related to the fact that I import constraints from another geometry after re-targeting the points.
In my main project I actually have this kind of setup and weld some other points that are not related, so understanding this issue is key to my larger problem.

Any help appreciated.

Attachments:
WeldIssue.hipnc (664.9 KB)

555 posts
I'm having a hard time trying to understand the bigger picture but what about this:

- instead of weld, use stitch
- change Type to points in both geo and target
- untick Constraint to Closest Point
45 posts
Saldy I do need to use Weld for my main project.

I have made a new sample file, this time with an edge fracture so there is a good reason to use weld rather than stitch.
I feel like the constraint I merge from the other geo are being ignored the moment I enable the wedges.

Thx for the help.

Attachments:
WeldIssue.hipnc (551.5 KB)

555 posts
substeps 4
Constraint Iter 800 ?

I've never liked cranking up the Iter too high, tbh.
45 posts
Thanks for your answer, I would like to keep everything to substeps 3 Constraint Iter 100.
In my previous test (first hip file) everything is working great with those number (without weld), the reason I import constraint from the other geo is precisely to have a stiff vellum object without having to compute a lot of iteration.
45 posts
After diving deep inside the vellum solver i hound out that by-passing the vellumsolver1/dopnet1/vellumsolver1/graph_color_constraints/remove_broken_bend_constraints node solves my issue, my guess is when you have weld the graph color needs to be double checked so that welded points have common constraint.

Thanks for the help regardless.
  • Quick Links