A request for a Houdini - Working with Time Masterclass

1382   0   0
1 posts
Hey SideFX,

I'm new to Houdini coming from a film / compositing background. For all of my first Houdini projects I've chosen super slow mo shots but I've really struggled getting to grips with all of tools and choices available in Houdini for editing time. For example...

Preperation: If shot length / FPS hasn't been planned exactly, is adding / re-timing substeps of a sim (that for example has been approved by a client but has then been asked to show in super slow mo) a suitable workflow as apposed to starting from scratch changing input parameters to match possible changes such as shot length, FPS, camera move.

Substeps and Time scale: The differences. Positives / Negatives of each and when you might choose one over the other.

Time nodes (esp Timewarp): Examples of when these are the best option for slowing down, speeding up, speed ramping a simulation. A deep dive into parameters. Examples of how these may control camera animations, object level animations, used across multiple sims to sync speed.

A personal preference for an example of a super slow motion simulation I'd love to see is a small scale FLIP sim of thick swirling paint.

Thank you for your consideration.
  • Quick Links