Stop Gamma Correct for Background Images when using ACES.

1540   4   1
104 posts
Hello,

Is there a way to stop Houdini applying a gamma correct to background images (jpgs) while using an ACES config setup? The only way I can find around this is:

Use exrs which are a lot heavier but don't get a gamma corrected
Bake an inverse gamma correction into the jpgs which means a separate set of images for Houdini from other DCCs.

Neither is ideal. The best solution would be the ability to turn the correction off which I can't figure out how to do.
Edited by lloydwood - 2021年10月11日 10:15:32
238 posts
I don't think so. You are only able to switch off ACES in the Viewport.
For what is worth, I am running all input picture data through a small Topnet witch takes care of the correction. Checks if its linear or rgb data and runs an ocio transform inside a cops network. As long its not pregraded all good here.
No need for other DCCs to get involved
http://www.sekowfx.com [www.sekowfx.com]
104 posts
Thanks sekow. That's what I thought.

It's more about trying to generate a backplate that works across multiple DCCs but I don't think it's going to be possible as they all seem to have different capabilities and approaches when it comes to handling viewport colour management.
Edited by lloydwood - 2021年10月12日 07:44:20
スタッフ
5158 posts
Try incorporating the colorspace into its filename. If you absolutely don't want it corrected, name your file backplate_raw_0001.jpg. The other option is acescg to interpret it as linear rather than srgb.
Edited by malexander - 2021年10月12日 08:51:08
104 posts
Thanks malexander. That's the info I was looking for.
  • Quick Links