Simple modelling question

1432   6   0
22 posts
Hi, I'm modelling a character at the moment and just landed at the current part, the helmet. I was thinking of extruding the stripe part inwards, but wondering what might be the best approach for this?

My blender brain is saying just bring it into blender and sculpt, but I'm trying to stick to only using houdini at the moment. Currently I'm dealing with a quad-based helmet. Should I try and manipulate the points I have available (then poly extrude), or should I try more of a boolean/vdb approach?

It's the curve of the stripe that my brain can't seem to figure out.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated!

Attachments:
Screenshot_20211030-134421.png (412.6 KB)

94 posts
If you have a blender brain so then I have a bit of Zbrush brain I'm curious how solve the task in Houdini too.

Attachments:
HelmetZ.png (2.0 MB)
HelmetZbrush.m4v (8.3 MB)

236 posts
Hi, I expect there are better methods but I've attached a hip file showing one way of doing it.

This uses a quad sphere (or you can use the Labs sphere generator). I've manually selected edges to straighten, inset a group for the cut and extruded inward. Use a fine bevel to sharpen edges and use subdivide for the rounded corners. Slide points near the corner to alter the roundness.

Rob

Attachments:
Sphere_Cut_RS.jpg (105.4 KB)
Sphere_Cut_RS.hiplc (192.5 KB)

22 posts
Faitel
If you have a blender brain so then I have a bit of Zbrush brain I'm curious how solve the task in Houdini too.

Totally where my brain went haha! The second response is worth checking out!!
22 posts
robsdesign
Hi, I expect there are better methods but I've attached a hip file showing one way of doing it.

This uses a quad sphere (or you can use the Labs sphere generator). I've manually selected edges to straighten, inset a group for the cut and extruded inward. Use a fine bevel to sharpen edges and use subdivide for the rounded corners. Slide points near the corner to alter the roundness.

Rob

This is so great, and exactly what I was after. Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this for me!
94 posts
I've adopted zbrush method to Houdini, but it requires Labs QuadRemesher paid node.

Attachments:
CurveCut.hiplc (230.0 KB)
HoudiniSlice.png (3.9 MB)

22 posts
Faitel
I've adopted zbrush method to Houdini, but it requires Labs QuadRemesher paid node.
amazing, thank you for this!
  • Quick Links