Load different assets, inject data, and process

1436   2   1
72 posts
I'm looking for a way to run a TOP setup that is able to load 2 assets hip or hda. Inject some data, then run simulation on the the first asset and use the ROP's in the second asset, which renders out the first assets result.

My proof setup is a simple merge file operation where the SOP's with the simulation setup are in one file and the render setup in a second. I punch in some numbers and both work together. Now I want to leverage TOP's to be more flexible and combine different assets with different render setups.

Is anything like this possible with TOPs, I understand you can't merge files in a live TOP session, so what possibilities are there to merge 2 assets and operate on them.

Thanks!
72 posts
I figured it out with the houdini server and python command sent.

Now I have some more questions:
1. when I'm in an Houdini server context, I'm running in a new hython process I think is that correct?
2. when I use a ropfetch TOP in the houdini server context, it yet again starts a new hython process correct?

What is the best way to not use so much overhead. Just a python command to .pressButton() on the rops in the new file?
I like ropfetch a lot but I think they are overkill, because I'm not running large sims but small bits of data that I want to process as quick as possible.

My current setup :

Attachments:
Screenshot 2021-11-22 133540.jpg (41.1 KB)

スタッフ
586 posts
1. Yes, each server instance is a new Hython process.
2. Other nodes have no way to run on the Houdini server instance right now -- only the script code from the Send Command TOP can run with on the server. The ROP Fetch will behave the same as normal when it's inside a server block.
Edited by tpetrick - 2021年11月23日 10:55:19
  • Quick Links