Renderfarm issues with Karma / USD - Houdini 18.5.633

1156   2   2
2 posts
Hello everyone

I've been working on a scene in Houdini for my students (for a medical visualisation project) and most of it has gone well - all the modelling / shaders / lighting etc, even slowly getting my head around USD in LOPS, but I've got one rather huge problem with the scene - it refuses to render on our renderfarm! The file renders locally on my laptop (32GB RAM, Windows 10) and on the lab PCs (also 32GB RAM, windows 10) but crashes on our renderfarm which has 64GB RAM. Which makes no sense to me or my colleagues! My colleagues and I have rebuilt the scene so that it only has usd files in LOPS (we also tried BGEO), but the only thing that has enabled it to render on the farm is deleting half the geometry (which ruins the look of the scene). We're really hoping that someone here with more knowledge than us could have a look at the scene and maybe offer some ideas about what we've done wrong?

I've tried to clean the scene up a bit, apologies if you find some random floating nodes I missed, or odd notes for my students still in the scene. All the geometry is in SOPS in a node called Geo (with the exception of a path for a camera and virus model to fly along). I have included the usd files that are referenced in LOPS (they can be rebuilt from their nodes in SOPS if you wish). I can't claim anything about the amazing pipeline in LOPS that one of my colleagues made, so my input has been to model the scene and do lookdev. I'm a long way from being a Houdini expert so I'm sorry if there are any basic mistakes (let me know so I can avoid them in future please!)

Googledrive link to the scene [drive.google.com]

Thanks very much
Martin
Edited by moid - 2021年11月26日 12:40:27
2 posts
I still don't have any magical fixes for this one, but I've found that removing the Cryptomatte AOVs from the renders lowered the memory overhead of the scene and allowed some frames to render on the farm (I also had to drop resolution to 1280x720). I rendered the cryptomatte AOVs as a separate render job, and most of those rendered as well. Annoyingly, I still can't render the entire sequence unless I reduce the frame size to half HD. Any guesses anyone?

In case anyone's interested, here's some post production fixes (all Nuke) to show where the scene is going

651 posts
Hi. Martin. Just another thought. Do you have any cache lops in there. Try disabling them if there are. Best mark
  • Quick Links