One topnet calling another

1090   1   1
207 posts
Hi;

I have a TOPnet (let's call it Tops_1) in my scene file whose job it is to wedge and cook some geometry. I use a few Python Script nodes in various places in this top graph to echo some status messages to the console as the tree cooks, sort of as a status updater. This works great.

Then, I have a separate topnet (say, Tops_2) that I'm using to more broadly do some tasks like trigger a few different render passes, do a composite, make a movie file, etc.

I would like to have a way to call Tops_1 from Tops_2...to bake my geometry before doing my render. I can do this using a TOP fetch, and it works, but I no longer see my python output status.

The various settings for in and out of process cooking leave me a little confused as how to best configure this. Is it possible? Or am I misunderstanding how these are meant to work? At the moment I would be happy just doing everything as one sequence of processes, rather than introducing any parallel processing.
207 posts
Update: the help card for the Top Fetch node notes that it triggers a separate process to run the fetched top network, which explains why I see work being done but no output.

I found an "in process scheduler", which seems like a promising way to keep everything running as a single thread within my main hip file, but using this seems to cause the top fetch to fail.

I'm aware that the way I'm thinking about all this is very ROP-like, but in my case I want to trigger a fairly complex scene graph in a very specific way, and having feedback printed to a shell/console helps me understand what's happening when.
  • Quick Links