Please help - Permission error on black-boxed HDA

1180   3   2
66 posts
Hi,

I have a black-boxed HDA which contains an FBX character export node.

I trigger this export via a button on the HDA which runs a script on the HDA's python module:

hou.node('EXPORT_Character').parm("execute").pressButton()

This works fine until I black-box the HDA, after which I get a permission error.

hou.PermissionError: You don't have permissions to access that node in a compiled HDA.

Even if I add the ROP Fbx Character Export node to the list of editable nodes in the HDA, I still get the error.

Surely it's possible to access a node inside the black-boxed HDA, from within the HDA's own python module?

Is there anyway to make this work?

Thanks.
8525 posts
I have never used blackboxed HDAs, but if only thing you are trying to do is execute the button, you can try directly promoting the button to your HDA
it will be linked with direct HScript expression which may work
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
66 posts
tamte
I have never used blackboxed HDAs, but if only thing you are trying to do is execute the button, you can try directly promoting the button to your HDA

Thanks Tomas.

There are actually a few instances where I need to be able to reference various nodes inside black-boxed HDA's and none of them worked due to the permission error.

However, I manged to work around it. Oddly, if I wrap the relevant nodes inside a sub network, inside the HDA, I am then allowed to reference those nodes from the black-boxed HDA's python module.

I've no idea what difference this makes to the black-boxing of the HDA itself, that is, if it's now easier to decompile them, however it's good enough for me as my scripts now work again and users still get the permission denied message if they try to dive into the black-boxed HDA's.
4 posts
先生
tamte

Thanks Tomas.

There are actually a few instances where I need to be able to reference various nodes inside black-boxed HDA's and none of them worked due to the permission error.

However, I manged to work around it. Oddly, if I wrap the relevant nodes inside a sub network, inside the HDA, I am then allowed to reference those nodes from the black-boxed HDA's python module.

I've no idea what difference this makes to the black-boxing of the HDA itself, that is, if it's now easier to decompile them, however it's good enough for me as my scripts now work again and users still get the permission denied message if they try to dive into the black-boxed HDA's.

Hello, I also encountered the same problem. May I ask how you solved it?
  • Quick Links