How can I programmatically clear the "Packed Geometry Cache"

1155   5   0
6 posts
I'm trying to flipbook some heavy geometry coming from an alembic file, and it is causing the "Packed Geometry Cache" to fill up and crash during the creation of the flipbook.

It seems like I can manually clear the cache by pushing on the associate button in the "Cache Manager" window, but I have been unable to find a programmatic equivalent.

I've tried the hscript commands without success:
geocache -c
geocache -p
sopcache -C

I've also attempted to set the node's "Unload" flag, but that doesn't seem to be doing trick either.

Any ideas?
4486 posts
Hi,

You can try this calling this Python function:

from _alembic_hom_extensions import alembicClearArchiveCache
alembicClearArchiveCache()
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
6 posts
Thanks! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Unfortunately, it causes me to insta-crash.
4486 posts
bradley.henke
Thanks! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Unfortunately, it causes me to insta-crash.

It shouldn't do that. Time to file a bug for SESI
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
6 posts
I have been running 19.0.455, and one of my co-workers mentioned that there were some issues with that build. When I jump to 19.0.720, it looks like the command works as advertised!

Thanks again for this advice!
7 posts
Hello this is Gulshan Negi
Well, the specific steps to clear the "Packed Geometry Cache" programmatically will depend on the software you are using. However, in general, you can clear the cache by calling the appropriate function or method from the software's API.
For example, in the Python API for Houdini, you can clear the packed geometry cache by calling the hou.PackedGeometry.clearCache() method. In Maya, you can clear the cache by calling the maya.cmds.pgCache command with the clear flag.

Thanks
  • Quick Links