Feather colors from Cd attribute

724   2   0
7 posts
I am creating a simple feather system, currently the tint color is green /see screenshot/. I would like the material read the feather color attribute from SOP, but once I input Cd or displayColor to geometry color material builder the feathers are black. I tried different setups like inputing the displayColor instaed of Cd but the feathers tint is still black. The tint as such can be changed but once I input anything the color is always black Am I doing something wrong?

Image Not Found

Image Not Found
Edited by PeterMandk - 2023年11月20日 06:32:33

Attachments:
018 Feathers.hipnc (1.2 MB)
Screenshot 2023-11-20 122033.png (873.8 KB)

11 posts
Let me see If I undestand it correctly, are you using the new houdini feather system? and this green geo on your picture are the barbs?
You need to transfer the color to the Cd_barbl and Cd_barbr attribute, in the feather interpolate also you need to pass them on
I usually use a feather ray on the template stage to color them acording to the ref (you need to generate the uvs https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/feathers/texturing.html)
Them after you transfered the Cd to the barbs you import it on your feather procedualm them the att will be available on the shader

(not sure if this is the norm but it worked for me )
Edited by lucas_rodrigo - 2023年11月20日 09:22:18
375 posts
Hey @PeterMandk

currently it's not possible to use custom point or prim attributes (which are be promoted) with the feather procedural.

What you have to do currently (as a work around) is to create the "custom" attributes as barb attributes e.g. using an uncondense and then a match condense node which creates these barb attributes.
This enables you to use colors on the barbs to create texture like patterns too.

I've edited this in your hipfile and attached it below

I already created an RFE for better control of attribute promotion (like point & primvars).

Cheers
Jonas

If you want to dive deeper in some of creating barb attributes take a look at the examples i build for the hive
https://media.sidefx.com/uploads/houdini-hive/houdini-20-hive/h20_hive_feathers.zip [media.sidefx.com]

Attachments:
barbUvSetCreate.png (3.1 MB)
barbUvSet.png (3.3 MB)
018 Feathers.hipnc (1.3 MB)

Jonas Sorgenfrei
FX/PIPELINE TD | RISE Visual Effects Studios
  • Quick Links