is there a way to smooth just the Y axis?

570   2   2
42 posts
Hi just need to do a smooth on one axis because if I just add a smooth node all my UV seems move.

I have tried to add a wrangle that places the points back to X/Z position after the smooth.
But this then leaves the Y axis jaggy as the edges are slightly curved making the smooth pointless.

my geo is mostly flat with the edges curved down.
I just need to smooth the curved edges. To correct some points that dip too low after making the geo.

the smooth just spreads the points out to average positions making the UV seems no good. This also makes the spreading of points on the curved parts rise and drop making it have low and high points when re-positioning the X/Z positions giving me jaggy geo which was the whole point of wanting to smooth in the first place.

I could smooth then use a ray after smoothing the geo to project the original geo with good UV's. But as the geo changes procedurally I can't be sure raying to the smoothed geo will work in all situations.
257 posts
put it in a for-loop with a little smoothing, reset x/z.. loop that an x number of times.

Or copy the Y to a separate attrib, use attribute blur on that and copy the smoothed attrib back to y.
More code, less clicks.
42 posts
@Jonathan de Blok... Thanks I will give it a go and see if it works.
  • Quick Links