Forcing viewport material evaluation on packed geometry

786   3   1
21 posts
Hi all!

Is there a way to force material evaluation in viewport for packed geometry? Reliable and continiously.

I have some half working attempts going, but all fail at a certain point.

Anytime I start writing out a flipbook sequence or alternatively using an OpenGL rop for that, some objects turn hard to the typical "packed grey", from one frame to the next. Sometimes immidiately after the first frame and sometimes from a certian frame of the sequence.

Some background info:
I use those preview sequences for customer approvals and it's a no-go to send such "flipping" stuff out. Or objects with no color or textures, especially the customer's product itself. I cannot tell them "imagine there is color" or "imagine the correct label will be displayed" or "imagine the function LED turns to the correct color here" ... it simply should be displayed.

I could work with unpacked geo, but then I have no performance while editing the animations. And always switching between packed and unpacked just for preview output or editing performance, is annoying and prone to generate user errors when leaving it in a wrong state for final output.
And just as a side node, when rendering the final images, everything looks good and nicely shaded, it's definately a "viewport / flipbook / OpenGL" display issue.

Thank you and greetings!

... and sorry for the tiny rant ...
2537 posts
I don't think there will ever be a work around for that. The work around is an unpack, which you have discovered. By leaving the unpack up to you, instead of building it into the viewport code, you control the final performance. A low sample Karma XPU render with the denoiser should get you pretty close to OpenGL performance.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
21 posts
Enivob
A low sample Karma XPU render with the denoiser should get you pretty close to OpenGL performance.

Unforunately we are on VRay and use VRay specific texture and material nodes, so I don't think Karma is an option.
Would be good if OpenGL could handle "unpack on render" or trace the shop material pathes inside the packed geo or something like that ...

Enivob
I don't think there will ever be a work around for that.
I hope not.

Thank you. Even this wasn't the desired answer.
Edited by TubeSmokeGuy - 2023年12月22日 03:49:44
7722 posts
Have you tried logging a bug?
  • Quick Links