License not showing up, HDA not loading in

664   4   1
3 posts
I'm a Unity developer collaborating with a Houdini artist, and I'm having very fundamental issues with using the Houdini - Unity Plugin.

Basically, I've received a number of HDA files and their respective .fbxs, which I import into Unity after importing the Houdini Plugin package.

Upon dragging an HDA into my Unity scene, I receive an error stating, "Loading Asset Library From File: Failed to get status string. Likely the session is invalid."

* I have verified I'm using the same version of the plugin as the Houdini the HDAs were created in.
* I have restarted Unity, my computer, reimported both the plug-in and the HDAs, and wiped and reinstalled Houdini from my computer.
* I have verified the License Server is running, and that I have an active Indie license.

* After I attempt dragging the HDA in, Unity does find a version of Houdini, but does not find my license for it.

Using Unity 2022.3.10f1 and Houdini 20.0.506.
Thanks for any help!

Attachments:
2024-02-27 15_42_50-Houdini License Administrator 20.0.625 (windows-x86_64-cl19.35).jpg (78.2 KB)
2024-02-27 15_43_26-Services.jpg (48.5 KB)
2024-02-27 15_42_21-Houdini Engine Installation Info.jpg (137.9 KB)

1 posts
I have exact same issue. Did you figure it out?
3 posts
Yes, I had a Houdini license but not a Houdini Engine license that I had to “purchase” for free separately and then activate in the License Manager. The branding for these products is just super fuzzy.
スタッフ
1182 posts
The Houdini license you have is a non-commercial Apprentice license. Digital Assets created in Apprentice will not load into Unity with Houdini Engine - you need at least a Houdini Indie license.

You an see here (https://www.sidefx.com/products/compare/) under Houdini Engine support that Apprentice does not work with Engine.

There is a free Houdini Engine for Unity/Unreal that is for commercial studios and does not work with Apprentice.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
3 posts
Yes, but as I mentioned, I wasn't creating any of the assets. I work as a Unity developer, and on this project I'm working with a Houdini artist. From a "I want to find a clear and direct way of using this stuff this guy made in the Unity project I'm in charge of" standpoint, the steps are not super clear IMO.
  • Quick Links