Artur J. Żarek


About Me



Recent Forum Posts

Pixel Samples in Wren ROP - ignored? June 8, 2019, 6:13 p.m.

I noticed that pixel samples in Wren ROP don't seem to have any effect on the quality of the final render. Why?

Bake envmap texture into uv object May 30, 2019, 6:51 p.m.

You seem to be 95% there
The thing is that this last 5% likes to take up 95% of the time spent on asset production.

Bake envmap texture into uv object May 29, 2019, 8:39 p.m.

@malbrecht, I've been trying to reproduce your idea about that camera rig, but I got stuck at the step where I am to project uvs from cameras.

Just as a reminder:
(…) create a UV map “from camera view” for a proxy object, that would then get the render output assigned as texture (for the UV map created previously) (…)

I used UV unwrap SOP to project uvs from each camera separately and piped it into a switch (pre-bake scripts handle the switching). I ended up with eight rendered images with little idea on how to stitch them together into original uv of the proxy (which, if I'm not mistaken, should be the same as uvs of the mesh that I want to bake the beauty pass into). I'm certain that I did not fully understood the concept and as a result I'm doing something terribly wrong.

It would be great if you could elaborate a bit on this step when you have some time.

We have a similar history with Blender because it was very incompatible with me too, and many times throughout the years I tried to convince myself to use it. 2.8 changed that. Eevee is so beautiful. UI and overall user experience is also much better than it was in 2.79-. If there's a time to give Blender a chance it's when 2.8 is released as a stable version. Not just yet (in its beta state), because I already experienced problems with some function names changing from build to build (and thus my custom hotkeys ending up broken and in need of rebinding). It won't replace Houdini, but it does pretty damn good job of complementing it (especially in traditional modeling aspect and, hey hey, light baking ;)).