use point() in DOPs

8184   5   1
28 posts
Hi,
I had an example i made but have lost it. I am trying to send a point attribute from sops to a DOPs network.
I used a point() expression and procedurally read each points color which was in turn used to alter the glue attribute. Can someone show me how this syntax would work inside eg the RBDGlueObject
I imagine it was somthing like: point(“/obj/geo1/OUTPUT”, OBJID, “Cd”, 0) but i cannot remember the syntax …
27 posts
oblong
Hi,
I had an example i made but have lost it. I am trying to send a point attribute from sops to a DOPs network.
I used a point() expression and procedurally read each points color which was in turn used to alter the glue attribute. Can someone show me how this syntax would work inside eg the RBDGlueObject
I imagine it was somthing like: point(“/obj/geo1/OUTPUT”, OBJID, “Cd”, 0) but i cannot remember the syntax …

it may be like this: point(“.:dopobject/Geometry”,point_num,“attr”,0)
Houdini is a big thing!
28 posts
sparkChan
oblong
Hi,

it may be like this: point(“.:dopobject/Geometry”,point_num,“attr”,0)

I dont see any color being passed through in details. I do remember using the OBJID or something very similar… its driving me crazy. I had a simple hip file i built where i demonstrated animating color values through the geo which were used to trigger glue attributes from -1 to 0 - worked like a dream.
I was certainly using the point expression inside DOPs …
27 posts
I think you should check the option ‘Use Deforming Geometry’
Houdini is a big thing!
8637 posts
you can use OBJID or OBJ but since it is an variable you have to write $OBJID or $OBJ

it really depends on your setup, what are the points you are taking color from?
no need for

no need for deforming geometry if your geometry doesn't change (it will not help with glue either)
but if you are animating glue value over time with that expression, you need to set rbdstate DOP inside your asset so Set Allways next to Glue Strength parameter
this is not needed if you just want it to setup at the begining of the sim

in either way simple expression like you had: point(“/obj/geo1/OUTPUT”, $OBJ, “Cd”, 0) should work but it depends on your geometry you are taking color from
the geometry should ideally have one point for each fragment so the IDs will match and you get correct color values
and instead of using color just create attribute named “glue” or something just to be more clear what is it for
using Cd for everything is an old-school way, nothing against it, but we now have better tools for organizing attributes and it's a good habit to use them
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
28 posts
Yes, we can organise attributes a little better now - details and attribute sops . I still use color in order to ‘see’ these attributes in the environment.
  • Quick Links