houdini with vmware fusion 3

5877   4   1
152 posts
just was curious if anyone has tried using houdini through vmware fusion 3… i have a multi-boot setup already which i know is “better”, and i know that older emulation software was definitely almost unusable in respects to true performance, however, with some of the new additions to vmware fusion 3, with opengl 2.1 and directx 9, i'm curious how the performance is.

Anyone tried this out?
Thanks,
Jonathan
117 posts
Not sure how things will go on vmware fusion, but I've been able to use VirtualBox successfully to run Ubuntu, Win32 and Win64 guests on both a Linux and Mac host by setting HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE=1. The performance is good enough for testing builds of HDK tools, I don't think you'd want to use it for day to day work.

-Drew

itriix
just was curious if anyone has tried using houdini through vmware fusion 3… i have a multi-boot setup already which i know is “better”, and i know that older emulation software was definitely almost unusable in respects to true performance, however, with some of the new additions to vmware fusion 3, with opengl 2.1 and directx 9, i'm curious how the performance is.

Anyone tried this out?
Thanks,
Jonathan
152 posts
nice, glad to hear that it works fine on virtual box… i'm not expecting any emulation of hardcore 3D apps to be spectacular performance but for those times that i really just don't feel like rebooting my computer just to jump in and tweak something, it'd be nice to just virtualize it, tweak it, then be done

appreciate you're response, if i try f3 i'll post my experiences.
Cheers,

Jonathan
1904 posts
I managed to have little to no issues running Houdini with VMWare Fusion 3 and Parallels Desktop 5. My MBP is getting pretty old so performance isn't what I'd like but it seems to work well enough.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
152 posts
sounds good to me then! i think i'll give it a try.

Cheers,
Jonathan
  • Quick Links