Simple parenting problem.

1458   3   1
340 posts
With Version 16.5.439 of Houdini Indie, it doesn't seem to matter whether “Keep position when parenting” is checked or unchecked. In either case, the child object moves to the position of the parent. I know this is a beginner issue, but it does not do what it does in several tutorials. (OSX) If you open the attached file and drag wires between the null and either the box (where Keep position when parenting is selected)or tube (where Keep position when parenting is deselected) the objects move to the nulls position.

Attachments:
ParentingProblem.hiplc (90.9 KB)

1755 posts
I just had a conversation with Support very closely related to this issue.
The problem you're experiencing is probably due to: Prefs > Objects and Geometry > Keep Position… > Never (in your case, probably)

These settings (never/always) are overrides that ignore the OBJ flag. These settings make no sense to me, as I've argued with Support (got no response yet). Maybe they do serve a purpose and whatever that may be, it's still beyond me why there isn't also two defaults for when “use object flag” is selected upon creating an object: keep position… ON or OFF.
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - April 16, 2018 16:05:12
340 posts
Thank you so much! That was the issue. I wonder why the preference got set to “never” or even why that might be a preference, but no matter.
1755 posts
Well, “matter”, not “no matter”. File a RFE to let them know what you'd like to change. Assuming you want something to be changed
  • Quick Links