Uncontrollable camera with MMB Pan (keep pivot for pan?)

1679   4   0
57 posts
Hi there,

Having an issue with the camera when using the mmb pan navigation in the viewport. When using the mmb pan with an object under the cursor (as opposed to blank space) the camera wildly ejects off somewhere in space and I have to use a space+f/h/g to return to a sane position. There seems to be some sort of acceleration when the cursor is over a viewport object, if I hold down shift when panning it slows down a bit, but is still quite wild.

This was happening previously with tumble, but setting “Keep Pivot on Tumble/Rotate” fixes the issue with the tumble, but I can't find the same thing for the pan. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

thanks
57 posts
Just playing around and wanted to add that if I turn off the Perspective (O) checkbox in the viewport options then it switches to some Ortho mode and the pan works as desired, but tumbling around is obviously different from the default perspective.
1 posts
Just thought I'd reply in case anyone else finds this post after a Google search. I had this exact same problem. After a lot of trial and error I found it was actually being caused by the video card drivers. I'm running Linux with a 5700XT and was using Mesa drivers. Downloading and installing the amdgpu-pro drivers from AMD's website fixed the camera problem. Hope that helps!
85 posts
i have the same issue but in the closed driver its detect 16 threads and not 32 in my cpu soo i try the open source drivers and its detect 32 threads,
and the opengl performance are garbage in the closed drivers compare to radv open source .
and with the 7900 i was amazed how much better the performance is with radv mesa drivers.

i don't know why sidefx can't fix (from their side) this simple issue
Edited by habernir - Oct. 27, 2023 10:50:54
85 posts
can sidefx team fix this small issue?

because the viewport performance differences between mesa and amd drivers in houdini are BIG (with the lastest mesa version).

the mesa drivers are much much faster than amd drivers .
  • Quick Links