How to make trace node work with custom geometry

347   1   2
2 posts
Hi, I have a neat destruction setup where I can put black and white mask into trace node and it creates for example bricks/stones/planks etc. on border of destruction.I know nothing fancy or new but for me it's super exciting Now I want to create HDA out of it and use it with Unreal Engine via Houdini Engine.
Problem is that right now in Houdini it works great on simple plane that trace node creates from texture mask but how to use it with custom, pre made geometry like buildings that are existing in my Unreal Engine project. That are uv mapped already so for example if I would like to punch a hole in a wall, the tool would boolean the shape and leave bricks or whatever else on border of this boolean matching currently used texture.
I am not gonna lie - I am heavily inspired by this article -> https://80.lv/articles/making-a-wall-braker-hda-in-houdini/ [80.lv] and on one of the gifs there you can see trace node followed by couple of transforms and clips and then Attribute wrangle node that I think makes it work with custom geometry. But this feels like VEX magic so I came here for help
Of course I went through Houdini documentation, youtube, reddit, couple of forums including this and have found nothing, well one thread on this forum but I don't think I know how to make it work in my case... It kind of works on small piece of building and I don't know how to make it work on whole building. Maybe someone here can help
I am attaching zip with houdini indie source file, texture mask and example building fragment in fbx format

Attachments:
scr608.jpg (522.1 KB)
scr609.jpg (641.3 KB)
scr610.jpg (562.1 KB)
DestructionToolTest.zip (783.0 KB)

2 posts
I have also stumbled upon this breakdown on Artstation - UV Based Material Fracturing - which seems to be working similarly but description is a bit vague for my skill level
Well I understand most of the stuff there but this sentence I don't: "From the material setup we have a list of points with UV coordinates stored on them" - how to do that as this should help me a lot...
Edited by popofletcher10 - April 7, 2024 12:44:42

Attachments:
scr613.jpg (347.3 KB)

• Quick Links