USABILITY: Turning off prefixes for parameters for assets

2780   7   1
4528 posts
As per Jeff's recommendation, creating a new thread.

I have a small usability issue about these settings:

Personally I have never seen or made an asset that had prefixes which could be because the assets I used and made are not gigantic. I can understand the need for this for really big assets where there will be naming collisions, but I think they are in the minority.

IMO it would be pretty useful if these were turned off by default. If you want to make it even better, then when adding parameters, if Houdini realizes that there will be a naming collision from incoming parameters, then it could ask the user if he wants these settings to be turned on? If yes, then it would turn these on before adding the parameters. If not, then no parameter would be added.

EDIT: Another advantage to this would be to have shorter parameter names to use in expressions. SESI is smart to use short parameter names for operators, but if there were additional prefixes, then it negates the advantage IMO.

Also I wouldn't want to refer to “box7_testbed_size” to change size personally. A hand created “bedSize” or if it's the only size, then “size”, or “s” is much nicer I think.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
2624 posts
Windows > desktop > save current layout

Should do the trick

Rob
Gone fishing
4528 posts
Does it save the asset settings too? I never thought it would. Have to try

Thanks Rob.
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

スタッフ
2540 posts
Thank-you for the new thread.

Yes the saving of the preferences should work.

The second part of this request is to have these two settings off instead of on as the default. As I mentioned I always turn These off myself and save the pref. I rarely find the need to enable them. Invariably I'll customize the parm names myself to be more descriptive if necessary.

If there are a couple more yays I'll submit the RFE.
There's at least one school like the old school!
4528 posts
Thank you Jeff. I really like discussing potential RFEs with the masters
Edited by - 2012年9月15日 10:53:13

50 posts
yay.
120 posts
i'd like to add my vote to this.
スタッフ
2540 posts
RFE Submitted ID=51112.
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links